Planning & Zoning
Planning & Zoning are at the heart of development. Focus is placed on quality sustainable growth and development via implementation and design regulations, protection of the environment, and long-term economic stability. Plan Pelham (PDF), the city's comprehensive plan adopted in 2020, serves as a guide regarding land use, development, growth management, and capital improvement decisions.
What We Do
- Assist customers with filing rezoning requests, sign permits, and variance requests by providing the zoning information for properties.
- Help business owners navigate regulations and requirements within the City of Pelham so their new business venture or expansion is successful.
- Serve as staff to the Planning Commission and the Zoning Board of Adjustment.
- Inform customers and residents of potential zoning violations and assist in gaining compliance.
The Pelham Planning Commission promotes orderly development and growth in Pelham to protect the public health, safety, and general welfare of those who live in the city. All zoning requests are first presented to the Planning Commission. It is made up of nine members who are charged with making recommendations to the City Council for zoning map changes, zoning ordinance amendments, and the creation of subdivisions. The Planning Commission meets on the 2nd Thursday night of each month. Read more about the Planning Commission.
Planning Commission Members
- Claude Peacock, Place 1
- Russell Biciste, Place 2
- Chad Hester, Place 3
- Ron Griggs, Place 4
- Kim Speorl, Place 5
- David Russell, Place 6
- Joey Pitts, Administrative Official
- Rick Wash, Council Representative
- Mayor Gary Waters
Zoning is complex and often hard to understand, but its purpose is simple. It ensures balanced communities, protecting property owners' rights while promoting the city's general welfare. While it is important to enforce current zoning, it is also important to listen. A zoning ordinance is a living, breathing document, and adapting to changes over time is crucial.
The Zoning Board of Adjustments makes decisions on appeals and variances outside the Planning & Zoning rules and regulations that do not conflict with the intent of the Pelham Zoning Ordinance. Read more about the Zoning Board of Adjustments (PDF). The Board of Adjustments and Appeals decides on variance requests related to the Building and Fire Codes. Read more about the Board of Adjustments and Appeals (PDF).
Zoning Board of Adjustment Members
- Joseph Schifano, III, Place 1
- Mike Harris, Place 2
- Bob Burleson, Place 3
- La Fran Marks, Place 4
- Michael Kelly, Place 5
- Steve Bedsole, Supernumerary
- Nicole Brazelton, Supernumerary