Flood Information

Home Repairs After a Flood

Those who receive damage to their homes due to flooding must obtain a Building Permit before work begins to make repairs. 

To obtain a flood permit, the applicant must submit a building permit application and a detailed cost estimate/schedule of values for the work. This can be an estimate from a contractor or an insurance adjuster. The Building Department will not accept a total amount unless supporting documentation is provided.

Homeowners may pull the permit and hire subcontractors to work under the permit. To do this, a detailed cost estimate and a permit application must be submitted. All subcontractors must have or obtain a current Pelham Business License before performing their portion of work. To verify if a contractor has a proper business license with the City of Pelham, please call 205.620.6480.

If hired by a homeowner, Certified State of Alabama Home Builders can pull the permit on the homeowner's behalf and submit the required documentation.

The turnaround to get a building permit is three business days. Permit applications and supporting documentation can be emailed to the Building Permit Office or dropped off in person to the Building Department, which is located on the 2nd floor of City Hall at 3162 Pelham Parkway, Pelham, AL 35124.

If you have questions about anything related to flooding or recovering from a flood, please email the Flood Plain Administrator.

  1. Flood Mitigation
  2. Storm Ordinance Procedures
  3. Other Helpful Resources
  4. FAQs

The City remains committed to spending 100% of the final American Rescue Plan Administration funding on drainage improvements and floodplain management, which continues to be reflected in the City's annual budget. Kimley-Horn, a leading engineering consulting firm, studied the City's drainage infrastructure, prepared a report and included recommended solutions, and presented it to the City Council in July 2023. The first project is budgeted in FY 2024. In addition, Kimley-Horn recommended the City apply for a federal FEMA Buyout Grant.

Read the Kimley-Horn report (PDF)